Thursday, March 11, 2010

Timing of Obama Indonesia Trip Questioned

As the health care bill is on the floor and hanging in the balance, the white house is facing questions on if Obama's trip to Australia and Indonesia is really necessary. Experts say that this trip is unusual in that there is no planned economic summit or other multicultural gathering. Obama's press secretary Robert Gibbs stated that the president intends to democracy conference in Indonesia while also highlighting the country's' counter terrorism efforts.
Since Obama wants this bill to pass so eagerly I believe that this is not the right time to go on vacation. Although it seems like there is somewhat of a purpose in his trip I think it should wait till a later time. This is especially important if Obama wants his bill to pass while still having a Democratic majority because once mid term elections take place he will certainly not have the same support. Even though this seems quite selfish of him, there does seem to be some good intentions, I guess.

No comments: