So the article I read today is by the Associated Press titled, "Obama wants answers after botched attack". What's the botched attack? Well if you were not aware, on Christmas Day "a 23-year-old Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, with suspected ties to al-Qaida", according to the article, made an attempt to blow up a Detroit bound airliner coming from "Nigeria by way of Amsterdam". Luckily, as the title says, this was a botched attempt.
But here's the real issue, there was intelligence floating around about this possible attack weeks before this botched attempt occured. The article states many examples foreshadowing last Friday's attack. However, it was the revelation examined in an article by the New York Times that seemed to be the last straw. It revealed that the government had intelligience of Al-Qaida leaders speaking about the attack days before Christmas. This all leads to the president asking the same question everyone's asking, "why was this not addressed".
What was the purpose of this tentativeness? For someone as open minded as me it's still hard to understand. At the same time, I can tell where this will lead to, a good amount of finger pointing. History has turned out the same, and I'm speaking as recently as Katrina. Except it seems that this finger pointing will take place more in federal government than between the federal and state government. However at the same time, some people are pointing at Obama for asking this question a week after the "botched attack". There may be blame to share on this one. However I can see this ending in one of two ways, there will be some kind of government reform so something like this doesn't happen again, or all of the blame will be put on one person or group of people and they will hold a stigma for years to come. I guess we'll see what happens
PS. to whoever was really supposed to blog today, I'm sorry if we ended up using the same article because there's a good possibility we did, I mean hey, this is juicy. And also sorry this is late in general, especially because this is so late I may not even get any credit for this and my post might have been almost pointless. Oh well.
and by the way
HAPPY NEW YEAR NEWFIELD AP GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS CLASS!
1 comment:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34620122/ns/us_news-airliner_attack/?ocid=MSNToolbar100
that's the article, curtesy of MSNBC.
Post a Comment