Monday, October 12, 2009

Readers Question: Obama's Prize Money

On Friday, the white house stated that Obama would donate the $1.4 million that accompanies the prize to charity. Previous winners have donated the money to various origanizations in which they were apart of. For example, Martin Luther King Jr. donated all of his prize money to the civil rights movement. The question arises of to what charity this money will be donated. Theodore Roosevelt made 28 donations of various amounts.

In my opinion the smart thing to do with the money is maybe put it toward the health care bill or use it to help the economy in which ever way will work. I however, do not think this is where the money will go. I think the the money will go to either helping organizations involving under privalged students of color and/or impoverished cities.

Finally, it is stated that when Theodore Roosevelt was in office, he didn't go to Europe to accept the award until his term was over. The final question was if Obama will attend the award ceremony.

I believe that he will in fact attend the ceremony. This will either be for publicity and/or tomake good relationships with various countries in attendance. Winning the prize will show the other countries that we are looking for peace.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/

1 comment:

John Muller said...

P.S
I do not see sending the money to charities for cities in poverty and to under privledged childen as bad, i just believe that it can better be used to help current issues