Liz Halloran says:
"...cell phone chatters have become the new drunk drivers."
How many of you think you can drive safely on the highway with your eyes closed for 15 seconds? As I sat in APLit to think about that (where Mrs. MW introduced me to the topic), it dawned on me that there is no way humanly possible to drive with your eyes closed. PERIOD.
Seven states, including NY have already established texting against the law, but personally, I believe it should be banned in all states. The article on npr.com continues about how people have lost their lives and have been injured due to other people consumed with their cellular devices. I honestly like the idea of banning texting while driving, but pushing it to the line where talking hands-free also becoming an issue, is a bit too much.
I think we have to first understand that texting is not an okay thing to do on the road. Not only is it a hazard to the person driving, it's a hazard for the surrounding drivers. One wrong moment, and you'll end up in the hospital or worse. But as for the hands-free talking.. I guess we could look at this both ways. Hands-free talking was established as an "okay" thing to do, but what if you were to get into an argument with the person you're on the phone with? This could lead to other dangerous situations such as road rage, speeding, etc. If prohibiting texting is sent through the government and made into a federal law, I predict things could get ugly.
As we were talking in APLit, I think a point that Brianna Mark made is very vital to us and had me thinking the same thoughts. In today's society, we like to listen to the radio or hook our iPods up to the car, no? What if we were to, say hypothetically, be changing the radio station or song and we look down for a moment, and a cop pulls us over immediately? Do they have a right to check your phone and the last messages you sent? Are they allowed to search you to make sure you weren't texting?
We'll have to see what happens.
(I suggest you read the article.)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113325341
No comments:
Post a Comment