That's right. The fillabuster vote that Democrats have in Senate has officially been broken today when Brown, a Republican, was elected to the seat held formerly by Kennedy, a Democrat.
And in Massachusetts no less!
Wow, so where do I start with this one? Well first of all, we can definitely assume that a health care reform bill is going to take longer to pass. Without that 60th guaranteed vote, the Democrats are going to have to scramble to find a Republican to vote in favor of the proposed bill. And if I'm not mistaken, havn't they been doing that for a while? And, on top of that, if one Republican got elected, you can expect more Republicans to be elected by November midterm elections. So that can't be good, at least for the Democratic Party.
The Republicans, on the other hand, are having a change of luck. Or is it just history repeating itself? I mean it has been a confirmed trend over the years that when a president of one party is elected, a congress of the opposite party is elected during midterms.
Well, either way, like I said, they're getting a good chunk of Congress back. And the neat and tidy democratic majority is going to turn into either a minority or a half of the legislative branch.
In any other circumstance, I might end the blog here. But something struck me on the money paid towards this campaign. The National Republican Senators Commitee spent $500,000 towards Brown's campaign. Now that's a good amount of money. Wonder where it all came from? And yes, that's an actual question. Think about it. All of the PACs' and individuals' contributions really add up huh? But I guess the idea behind campaign finance reform is not who gets how much money but how much money can be given without giving that group too much influence over a candidate.
So how do you guys feel about this? Is it good to have a better variety of congressman to come, or is this just going to cause inactivity among Congress?
Honestly, I believe in the later. When I told my mom about Brown's election and what it could mean, she responded wishing that 'congressmen could just try to compromise for once instead of worrying about party lines'. And there is a point there. How is anything going to get done in this government if Congress can't agree on anything? It could take years for this bill to pass. And while it does, what other issues will this Congress being ignoring while it is squabbling over this bill? I mean, of course focus will shift, but it will always come back to the healthcare bill.
Than again, maybe this is showing a shift in public opinion. And if it is, then the ideas of these people could be represented in Congress more, especially when relating to the healthcare bill. Maybe, when the bill passes...if it passes, the bill would be something that will be able to make more people happy than just one party. Let us not forget that this government was not only made to respond to the majority, but to protect the minority. This could ultimately mean a better healthcare bill. Of course, that really all depends on what you think is good healthcare reform.
As I imply with most of my blogs, we'll just have to wait and see.
Based on the Article: "Brown Beats Coakley in Massashusetts Senate Race" from FOXNews
A link will be provided in my comments...
1 comment:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/19/polls-close-competitive-massachusetts-senate-race/
Post a Comment