I feel like my blog posts are different from everyone else's.. I like to put my own input on things and bring it from my home country. Although I've never been there and have yet to expose myself more to America and South Korea, I guess it's a way for me to update myself. The following article is something I've found myself exposed to many times:
Many South Koreans have pride in "ethnic homogeneity" which is basically being ignorant to other ethnic groups. When they see other Koreans with non-Koreans, they spit racial slurs and distasteful slang to these people. They'll cuss in Korean and put on faces of ignorance because they find it DISGUSTING. I properly use "they" because I don't include myself in that group.
NYTimes writer Choe Sang-hun goes on in the article to discuss the history behind racist remarks and other experiences Koreans went through. During the Korean War, Korean women were used by both Japanese and Chinese as sex slaves and toys for pleasure, and were put in camps to be "messed with". Hearing of my home country's history puts a fiery anger in my heart because women were USED AND ABUSED.
Even after the Korean War, although the article doesn't state this, women of East Asia were looked upon as "jewels of the East" and if you've never seen "Memoirs of a Geisha", you'll have no idea what I'm talking about. But just knowing that after we're treated this way, we spit back at other countries as if they've done something? PITIFUL.
I understand that women in my own country were used and I know that it's a painful thing. But also knowing that my country is as ignorant as those who did those things to us, it's childish. South Koreans are racist people and it annoys the living daylights out of me that even in AMERICA, they're still as racist as they were when they were before moving to the States. It brings SHAME upon the country and DISGRACE to our ethnicity. Honestly after reading this article, I feel like South Korea has given itself a slap across the face. Good job.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?pagewanted=1&ref=world
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment