Friday, November 7, 2008

What's Next For Sarah Palin?

Sarah PalinSarah Palin was sent packing by Barack Obama and Joe Biden's great victory. However, although she did not become our Vice President, there still may be great things in store for Sarah Palin. As Ted Stevens is still taking heavy criticism for his accepting of gifts, he is being pushed closer and closer to resignation. If that were to occur, Palin would be a prime candidate for his seat in the Senate. Even though the article did not mention it, I would like to bring up the fact that if this happens, Palin is only a short leap from the White House. Barack Obama would know this concept well... If Palin decides to run against Barack Obama(maybe not Obama based on how his term plays out), will she stand a chance? In order to determine this, there are several things that we must ask ourselves.

First of all, did Sarah Palin make a name for herself during the campaign? For anyone keeping up with the news and the Saturday Night Live skits, the answer is definitely yes. Sarah Palin was the centerpiece of the media; she appeared in tons of stories and cartoons, and her life was made public to the United States. However, it was not the good aspects of her life that were brought to the forefront, but it was the negative aspects, such as the fact that she has a child with Down's Syndrome, or the fact that her teenage daughter is pregnant.

This can be looked upon either positively or negatively. In one light, her life definitely demonstrates her strong anti-abortion standpoint. However, these facts also portray an irresponsible person, a person that few would want to lead their country. It is this unfortunate fact that greatly contributed to John McCain's loss in the election as well.

The next question that needs to be asked is whether or not Sarah Palin has what it takes to go up against Barack Obama. If this happens, she will have a strong disadvantage depending on how well Obama's term went. However, she is currently well known and if she does decide to run in 2012 she will be instantly recognized. This will greatly aid her, but will depend much on what she does in between now and four years from now.

During this campaign she showed that she was unknowledgable in some areas and that interviews are not her forte (by far). However, mistakes can be viewed as learning experiences and it is for this reason that I think that Sarah Palin is more qualified now than when she was first chosen. She was the "deer in the headlights", but now she knows the ins and outs of Washington and at least in my eyes, she changed for the better. I truly believe that she stands a viable chance if she decided to run in 2012.

I know that this is definitely making a bold statement and it is for this reason that I will base my opinion heavily on what WILL happen with Sarah Palin in the future instead of basing it on what HAS happened. Obtaining a seat in the Senate will also play a large role in my opinion and most popular opinions I predict, as Palin will be having her first experience with running a country. In this respect she would also be getting her "on the job training" which would make it MUCH easier for her to run. It is for these reasons that I would consider voting should she run in 2012.

It is articles like these that, although they are short, they create lasting discussion and encourage speculation. This article especially was NOT biased and instead of speaking from Democratic principles or Republican principles, the article was speaking based on neutral speculation. I have always been intrigued by political speculation and that is why I found this average article very interesting.




Source: The New York Times

CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE

1 comment:

Mr. Latham said...

Great analysis Jake - although I wonder if that calculation would change now that she has lost her possible Senate position. I also wonder how much she can use her position in Alaska to become a leader in the energy movement. It is very interesting to see where she comes out of this.

Mr. L