I recently read an opinion piece by a high school student who spoke of upcoming freshman who are put onto a waiting list by their first choice colleges because they did not fall into the quotas they were trying to fill. Reading an opinion piece by Charles Blow, I now realize that no matter where you go, Americans are trying to fill a quota and not seem racist.
The Tea Party recently had minorities speak at a rally , and Charles Blow had attended hearing that he may not have been the only black man in the audience. However, he ended up being just that. As he surveyed the people who surrounded him, he realized he had been engulfed in a sea of middle aged white male faces, and he was sticking out like a sore thumb.
Now I'm not claiming that all Tea Party-ers fall into this criteria, but so many of them do. They are wealthy Americans who sit comfortably in their homes and criticize government take over, the healthcare overhaul, and our racist president. The only thing I can say is I think that these people might need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves what exactly it is that they are preaching. Factionalized America, welcome to even more factionalized America.
No comments:
Post a Comment